The transformation of Port Sultan Qaboos into a tourism based mixed use waterfront destination will provide a vibrant, active and high quality public realm to Muscat whilst at the same time integrating with and enhancing the existing surrounding historical area of Muttrah.
Inaugurated in 1974, Port Sultan Qaboos, was the first commercial port in the Sultanate of Oman. In 2011, His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said issued directives to transfer the commercial activities of Port Sultan Qaboos to Port Sohar and convert Port Sultan Qaboos into an integrated tourist port. Port Sultan Qaboos is located at the heart of Muttrah, which originally was the centre of commerce in Muscat. Muttrah has one of the oldest traditional souks in the Arab world, with a history stretching back over 200 years and is the most visited tourist destination in Oman.
Mina Sultan Qaboos will be re-developed as a high quality Waterfront Destination, over a number of development phases. This will enhance the historical area of Muttrah and transform
the Port Sultan Qaboos into the region’s no.1 Waterfront destination, whilst providing the public with greater acess to the Waterfront by reintegrating the port area with Muttrah and the city of Muscat.
Mina Sultan Qaboos Waterfront is a development without equal. It will serve as the gateway to to Muscat. Centred around water, something perpetually valuable and precious, Mina Sultan Qaboos Waterfront will redefine the experience of Musact and provide investors with signifcant opportunity to participate in a unique and unparalleled marketplace offering. Mina Sultan Qaboos Waterfront is a regeneration initiative that aims to unite the Muscat of yesterday with the vision of Muscat tomorrow.
Phase 1 Masterplan
- A world-class waterfront development of outstanding beauty and interest that showcases the very best of Omani culture, heritage and innovation to a global audience.
- An inclusive destination that is welcoming and accessible to all people.
- An exciting and vibrant year round tourism hub that is rich in activities, entertainment and experiences and that quickly establishes itself as the no 1 destination in Oman.
- A pedestrian friendly lifestyle community that acts as a catalyst for the regeneration of Muttrah.
- A platform for successful business enterprise and a stimulus for significant job creation.
- The creation of a Waterfront Company with a stable recurring income stream that provides a solid return on investment for the Government.
Uniqueness of the project
- The site is a “one off” in Muscat – provides instant differentiation.
- Stunning natural beauty – mountain, sea, marina, old town, fort views.
- Significant water frontage – premiums to all forms ofreal estate.
- A city location – attributes of a resort style location but in a city setting.
- Large Scale – allows for diverse mix of synergistic attractions and consumer experiences.
- Historical context – both in terms of the port and proximityto Muttrah.
- Cruise hub – Over 100 vessels per annum opportunity for “Home Port” status.